I Love Boca Reservoir in Truckee, California. We lived in Glenshire which was very close to Boca, so we went there frequently in the summer to picnic, swim, and jet ski with our neighbors. There are lots of little private areas that you could pull in and park at and we enjoyed taking our dogs there to run and swim.
View Boca Reservoir in a larger map
Boca is located just off of Hwy 80 at the Hirshdale exit. It is 6 miles northeast of Truckee, Californ, and Reno is 27 miles to the east.
Facts about Boca
- Boca Dam is an earthfill dam and is part of the Truckee Storage Project.
- Boca is open year-round
- Boca freezes during the winter months
- At full reservoir capacity, it has a surface area of approximately 980 acres
- The Bureau of Reclamation has closed the road across Boca Reservoir at the dam that leads to Boca Campground for the 2011 camping season. Access is available via a back dirt road
- The Reservoir is on the Little Truckee River
Some of the the favorite activities to do at Boca Reservoir include: - (Activities will be linked up as completed!)
- ATV - lots of ATV trails!
- Boating - Boca has a boat ramp
- Fishing - Rainbow Trout, Brook Trout, Kokanee Salmon and Makinaw Trout and Brown Trout can be found at Boca! Wheelchair accesible fishing locations can be found at the dam, as well as the nearby Boca Townsite Interpretive trail, just below the dam. Fishing season is year-round, with ice fishing during the winter
- Fly Fishing on the Little Truckee River
- Jet Skiing
- SUP (Stand-Up Paddle)
- Water Skiing
- Wind Surfing
Check out all the Truckee Summer Activities!
Also...check out the Truckee Sporting Goods shops and shop local for all your Truckee Summer Activities!
Boating at Boca is very popular as it is not as crowded as Donner Lake can be. When this picture was taken, I counted eight boats that I could see on the lake.
Camping at Boca is very popular and there are several campgrounds available. (a Camping at Boca page will be added shortly with the details!
The picture above was taken of Boca Dam in April 2011, when there was still snow on the surrounding hills, and the day was a little overcast and dreary looking.
Truckee Ranger District
Tahoe National Forest
10342 Hwy. 89 N.
Website: Tahoe National Forest Website
Go to Truckee Campgrounds
Return to Truckee Lakes
Return from Boca Reservoir to Truckee Travel Guide Home Page