Truckee has four distinct Seasons, each with their own unique charms! One of the things that I totally love about living in Truckee, is the variety in the Truckee Weather!
From the absolutely perfect weather in summer that is not so hot that you can't get out to be active, to the snow in the winter that allows for some fantastic Truckee Winter Activities and a White Christmas! No matter what activity that you love to do, you can find it in the Truckee and gorgeous Lake Tahoe area!
The four seasons are:
page on the Truckee Travel Guide website will highlight each of the
Four Seasons in Truckee, and point you in the right direction for the
best seasonal activities, events and holiday fun in each season, tips, and deals!
Please check out the Truckee Events Calendar for all the happenings!
Winter in Truckee
The first day of Winter in Truckee for 2016, is December 21st, 2016 and
the last day of winter is March 19th, 2017! Here are some highlights of
- Activities Depending on the weather and snow, the Ski Resorts are typically all open and in full swing - skiing, ice skating, cross country skiing, snowmobiling, snowboarding, and snowtubing and sledding are some of the most popular activities!
- Events Lots of Christmas and New Years Eve events, and the annual SnowFest celebration which runs from March 3, 2017 to March 12th, 2017 is always a big hit.
- Holidays - The biggest winter holidays include Hanukkah, Christmas, New Years Eve / New Years Day, Valentine's Day, and St. Patrick's Day.
- Photo Opportunities - amazing snow scenery shots abound and you can get some great shots of the winter activities.
Photo above at Right: Skiing at Squaw Valley with Lake Tahoe in the background.
Photo Credit: Hank Devre - used with permission from the Squaw Valley Website
- Snow - Snow, Snow, and more Snow!
- Take care to keep in touch with what the weather is doing - it is
unpredictable in winter, and you don't want to get caught out in a
For more info about Winter in Truckee, check out these pages on the Truckee Travel Guide website:
Spring in Truckee
The first day of Spring in Truckee for 2017, is March 20th, 2017, and the last day of spring is June 20th, 2017! Here are some highlights of spring:
- Activities - In spring, depending on the snow for the season, you can often keep participating in some of the Winter activities, while starting in on some of the Summer activities.
You can find lots of spring organized hikes to view the wildflowers as
soon as the snow melts, and it's a great time to view any local
- Events Event highlights are Easter celebrations, and Earth day events. Some of the Ski Resorts have season closing events, and the Foothill Farmers Markets start up in May and bring farm fresh produce to the area! Wine and Beer events start happening more frequently, and depending on the weather, restaurants start opening their decks for outside seating!
- Holidays - The biggest spring holidays include Easter, Mother's Day, Memorial Day and Father's Day.
- Photo Opportunities - you can get some great photo's in spring of the Lake Tahoe and Truckee Wildflowers and of the snow runoff at some of the area waterfalls such as Eagle Falls and Cascade Creek Falls at Lake Tahoe.
Squaw Valley Wildflowers
Photo Credit: Tom O'Neill - used with permission from the Squaw Valley Website
- Snow - as was experienced in Spring of 2011, snow can very much play a major role in the season!
- Weather Spring weather can go either way depending on the snow! It is often a time of year when you can go skiing in the morning and boating on the lakes in the afternoons.
For more info about Spring in Truckee, check out these pages on the Truckee Travel Guide website:
Summer in Truckee
The first day of Summer in Truckee for 2017, is June 21, 2017, and the last day of summer is September 21, 2017! Here are some highlights of summer:
- Activities - The Truckee Summer Activities are in full swing. Residents and visitors flock to the Truckee Lakes, Lake Tahoe, the Truckee River, and the Truckee Beaches for water activities. Truckee Golfing, Hiking, Fishing, Backpacking, Biking and Mountain Biking are all popular Summer Activities. The Truckee Campgrounds are full of campers, and the Truckee Parks are full of kids playing, and sports activities!
- Events - Summers are loaded with Truckee Wine Events and Beer events, Music Events, Craft Fairs, Fourth of July events and Fireworks, and the weekly Truckee Thursday's.
- Holidays - The biggest Summer holidays include Independence Day on July 4th, and Labor Day.
- Music - Music abounds with summer events such as Truckee's Music in the Park Series and Music during Truckee Thursday's, Tahoe City's Concerts on the Beach, and lots of weekend music events festivals at Northstar, Squaw Valley, and Lake Tahoe!
- Photo Opportunities - Great opportunities for photo's at the Truckee Beaches, and Truckee Lakes as well as at Lake Tahoe. A couple of my favorite spots are Emerald Bay and Sand Harbor State Park at Lake Tahoe.
Paddleboats at West End Beach, the Public Truckee Beach at Donner Lake in Truckee
- Snow - believe it or not, there is the occasional snow storm in summer!
- Weather - I think that the Truckee summer weather is just perfect. It is warm, but not too hot usually.
For more info about Summer in Truckee, check out these pages on the Truckee Travel Guide website:
Fall in Truckee
The first day of Fall in Truckee for 2017, is September 22, 2017, and the
last day of fall is December 20, 2017! Daylight savings time ends on November 5, 2017. Here are some highlights of fall:
Yellow Aspens in Truckee
Photo Credit: Bay and Langsdale, used with permission from the Truckee Chamber of Commerce Website
- Preparation for Winter -
Fall is also a time of preparation for all the locals - preparing their
homes, cars, yards, and getting their winter wardrobes and winter sports
equipment ready! The Truckee Ski Swap held in November is always a big
event! Get your Car Emergency Kits in your car stocked up for winter!
- Ski Resorts
- Weather permitting the Truckee area ski resorts open for the season
with Boreal, traditionally the first to open. Season Passes for the
resorts go on sale, and some of the best Discounted Lift tickets can be found in October.
- Snow - Bets are made for when the first snowfall hits town.
- The weather drops during fall, the evenings become very chilly, and
with the unpredictable weather of snow on the horizon, it is a great
idea to check the weather before you go out!
For more info about Fall in Truckee, check out these pages on the Truckee Travel Guide website:
Holidays and Observances Website