Truckee Skiing in the
Perfect California Ski Vacation Town!
Truckee Skiing in the Perfect Mountain Town is a perfect place to take a California Ski Vacation! There are two Ski Resorts in the town of Truckee, California. These are:
- Northstar California Downhill & Cross Country - Open for the Season - Opening Day was November 18, 2011
- Tahoe Donner Downhill - Opening Day December 9, 2011. Tahoe Donner is a fantastic place to learn to ski - both of my kids learned to ski here!
To see information on all of the Truckee and Lake Tahoe
Ski Resorts, please check out my Ski Resorts
Skiing at Squaw Valley in Olympic Valley
Photo Credit: Hank Devre - used with permission from the Squaw Valley Website
The Truckee Ski News page, will keep you up to date with what's going on in the Truckee Ski Resorts, and the Ski Resorts in the surrounding Lake Tahoe area, per Google and Bing Global News Sources...plus, you will have opportunities to write your own Truckee Ski News Stories.
Please check out my Discounted Lift Tickets page for all the Season Pass and Special Deals!!
Vote in our Truckee Ski Poll for your favorite place to Ski in the Truckee or Lake Tahoe area!!
Results will be posted on the Ski Poll page periodically.
What is Skiing?
According to Wikipedia, Skiing is defined as: "Skiing is a group of recreational activities using skis as equipment and traveling over snow. Skis are used in conjunction with boots that connect to the ski with use of a binding.
Skiing can be grouped into two general categories. The older of the two disciplines originated in Scandinavia and uses free-heel bindings that attach at the toes of the skier's books, but not at the heels. Types of Nordic skiing include cross-country, ski jumping and Telemark. Alpine skiing (more often called "downhill skiing"), originated in the European Alps, and is characterized by fixed-heel binding that attach at both the toe and the heel of the skier's boot."
What Ski Equipment do you need to Ski? (additional information will be provided shortly)
Please see "Online Shopping Deals" for Daily Deal Specials from many different vendors!
Where is the Best Place to Rent Ski's?
This question is best answered by what type of car you have and whether or not you have a ski rack or room in your car for equipment. If you do, then there are several great Truckee Sporting Goods stores to rent equipment at. This often works out best for longer ski vacations.
If your car can't handle the equipment, then each ski resort typically has a rental department, and often you can get Ski Ticket/Ski Rental Combined Pricing. Either way, it is best to price out your options before hand to get the best deal for your Truckee Skiing trip!
Where can you Buy cheap Ski Equipment?
Each year, around early November, the Truckee Donner Recreation & Park District, hosts a local Truckee Ski Swap Sale of Ski Equipment.
Where can I learn to Ski?
- The Truckee Donner Recreation & Park District offers Teens and Kids Ski Programs. My kids both took their "Learn to Ski" Classes at Tahoe Donner Ski Resort, the first year that we lived in Truckee. My son, Ryan, also took their "Learn to Ski Race" Program at Soda Springs, our 2nd winter in Truckee. It was a little advanced for his ability at the time, but they put him down with the younger kids and he did great! By our fourth year of living, in Truckee, Ryan was blasting down the Double Diamonds like a PRO! Truckee Skiing is the Best!!
- Each Ski Resort has a Ski School and offers Ski Lessons which often can be combined in a package with rental equipment and a lift ticket.
Click here for more information about the Truckee Donner Recreation & Park District Ski Swap each year and Teens & Kids Ski Programs
Skiing at Heavenly Valley in South Lake Tahoe
Photo used with permission from my daughter Brie's friend, Tiffany Watts of South Lake Tahoe
Tiffany was the June 2011 Photo Contest Winner
for a photo she took of Lake Tahoe
and Cascade Lake
while in a Hot Air Balloon
Here are some tips and instructional videos' for beginner skiers on their California Ski Vacation in Truckee: (links coming soon!)
- Exercises for Snow Skiing
- Lift Ticket Skiing Tips
- Ski Care and Equipment Tips
- Parts of a Snow Ski
- How to carry Ski Equipment
- Getting In and Out of Bindings
- Getting In and Out of Ski Bindings
- How to Put on Ski's
- One Ski Practice Tips
- How to use Ski Poles
- Using Ski Trail Maps
- Snow Ski Run Legend
- Tips for Skiing on Level Ground
- Proper Snow Ski Stance
- How to Slow Down and Stop
- How to Control Speed and How to Stop
- Snow Ski Stops
- Snow Ski Turns
- How to Carve Ski Turns
- Stem Christi Turns
- Chairlift Tips for Skiing
- How to get off a Ski Chairlift
- How to recover from a fall while Skiing
- How to recover from losing a ski in a fall
- How to get better at Skiing
- Tips for Downhill Skiing
- Skiing Tips and Snow Conditions
Here are some tips and instructional videos' for intermediate and advanced skiers:
- How to Snow Ski Backwards
- Hitting Snow Skiing Jumps
- Switch 360 Snow Ski Trick
- 450 Out Snow Ski Trick
- Outside 720 Rail Snow Ski Trick
Here are some miscellaneous ski video's:
Have A Great Story About Skiing in the Truckee Area?
Do YOU have a great story about Skiing in the Truckee Area? Tell us YOUR Favorite Place to Ski in the Truckee area and YOUR Favorite Runs! Share your Best Epic Ski Fail Story! We'd love to see Pictures!
Go to Ski Clothing
Go to Ski Equipment
Go to Cross Country Skiing
Go to Discounted Lift Tickets
Go to Ski Resorts
Go to Truckee Event Calendar
Go to Truckee Music
Return from Truckee Skiing to Truckee Winter Activities
Return from Truckee Skiing to Truckee Travel Guide