Truckee is the perfect place to Snowshoe! If you can walk, you can snowshoe! While there are devoted Trails throughout the Truckee and Lake Tahoe area, it is easy to strap on a pair of Snowshoes after a snow storm and head around the neighborhood and enjoy another Truckee Winter Activity!
Photo Credit: Used with permission from the Resort at Squaw Creek
There is not much that is needed in order to snowshoe:
- Waterproof Shoes or Boots
- Day Pack for extra gear
- Emergency Kit, especially if you plan to go in the Backcountry
- Hiking Poles
- Map of the Area
- Waterproof Jacket
The places listed below that offer lessons and tours, also have equipment rentals available if you need them. Some tours come with equipment. If you have never tried it, it is probably a great idea to rent first, before you buy.
If you are interested in buying equipment, check out the Truckee Sporting Goods Shops for some great buys!
Snowshoe Lessons are available at:
- Northstar California at their new Cross-Country, Telemark, and Snowshoe Center located mid-mountain. Check the link at the Northstar website for all the prices and details!
- Resort at Squaw Creek - offer group or private lessons
Another fun way to learn is just to sign up for one of the Snowshoe Tours below. Many of the Tours are fine for beginners.
info to come
Snowshoe Tours - 2016/2017 Season
If you can afford the cost, I highly recommend going on a structured snowshoe tour with guides who know the area. There is always safety in numbers!
All the details for the different tours can be found on the Truckee Travel Guide Event Calendar:
- Northstar California - all tours leave from the new Cross-Country, Telemark + Snowshoe Center located mid-mountain:
Family Snowshoe Tours - 1pm - 4pm on Dec. 25, 2016, Jan. 1, 2017, Jan. 15, 2017 and Feb. 19, 2017; Twilight Snowshoe Tours - 5:00pm - 7:30pm on Dec. 17, 24, and 30, 2017, Jan. 7, 21, 28, 2017, Feb. 4, 18, and 25, 2017 and, March 4 and 11, 2017; Star Gazing Snowshoe Tours - 5:00pm - 7:30pm on Dec. 21, 2016, Dec. 28, 2016, Jan. 4, 2017 and Feb. 11, 2017
- Tahoe Adventure Company in Tahoe Vista, offers guided snowshoe tours in the Lake Tahoe area, as well as Full Moon Snowshoe Tours and Snowshoe Star Gazing Tours. They also offer custom and group dates. All equipment comes with their tours and is included in the cost of the tour.
Truckee Snowshoe Trails
- Castle Peak
- Donner Memorial State Park - There are two snowshoe trails in the Park during the winter time. They are:
Nature Trail - 1.8 miles
Snowshoe Adventure Trail - 2.9 miles
- Emigrant Trail
- Martis Valley
- Northstar California - The new Cross-Country, Telemark + Snowshoe Center features a sundeck and expanded teaching area.
- Resort at Squaw Creek in Olympic Valley - Download a Trail Map
- Royal Gorge
- Tahoe Donner Cross-Country